Skip to main content

A Day of This and That

As the founder of the discussion group Sustainable Living here in Dalby, I had my first interview with the local online newspaper, Dalby Champions.  And it went well, I think.  Being my first interview, I am a bit nervous about seeing my ideas interpreted and written by someone else, out there for people to read.  And I've been thinking since then about what Sustainable Living is and what it means to me.

It's the small choices made on a daily basis.  When I first started looking for a better life, a happier life, a life less cluttered, and more meaningful; I found books to read (Simple Living, Radical Homemakers), blogs to read (Non-Consumer Advocate, Down to Earth),  and other people's routines to use (Flylady).

I was so inspired that I had found my people!  And I was going to do it all!  I was doing the daily cleaning routines, washing my hair with baking soda followed by a white vinegar rinse, de-cluttering my house, baking bread from scratch, buying everything we needed (and quite a bit we didn't) at the thrift stores, and raising chickens!  But at the same time, I was overwhelmed by it all.  It was too much.

Flash forward about 6 years later to this morning, and I've found my own way.  I've settled into my own version of the routines that saved me from CHAOS (can't have anyone over syndrome).  I've found my own pace of living which isn't so hectic.  And I'm not tackling the really big projects, but I am doing a little bit each day.

Today, I'll be doing some mending (replacing a zipper, hemming a pair of pants, and repairing DD's dress), some baking (banana and blueberry muffins), vacuuming, updating the budget, mixing up a fresh batch of cocoa mix, and playing.

I've learned that change comes about in small steps and that I don't have to do it all at once.  I've found a calm which has replaced frantic.  It all gets done, one bit at a time.

What small steps are you taking today?
What seeds are you planting for the future you envision?

Thanks for stopping in and reading today.  I'd love to hear from you.

Comments

  1. It's great that you learned enough about the stuff you were interested in as well as yourself and what you want/need in your life to be able to adapt all of the things you learned to your own particular circumstances and to be able to choose what to keep and what to let go of. And in the future, you might drop some stuff and pick up others. having that foundation allows you to adapt to whatever circumstance you find yourself in!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. I dove in thinking I would do it all, but I'm learning what fits for me and what doesn't. Also that some of it is like a layer cake and you can't put on the upper layers until you've got a solid foundation and practiced a couple of the lower layers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Homeschooling and Field Trips

After reading Homeschool Adventures: Learning through Field Trips by Melissa Calaap, I knew field trips were going to be a regular part of our homeschool journey. Hands-on learning, experiences, talking with people on site.. that is where deep learning happens. And honestly, field trips were the best days of my own public school experience. Hello Ft Wayne Children's Zoo, Amish Acres, and Cotton Bowl Parade. My local homeschool community regularly organized park days, the occasional trip to the museum, IMAX movie, and other one-off meet-ups, but there wasn't a regular set pattern of field trips on the caliber of what I was looking for. So I had a decision to make. Did I sit and wait for others to create the opportunities I was looking for or did I do it myself? Now, coming from the public school background I came from, my first inclination was to wait for others to come up with the idea and organize it. I mean that's how it worked at the schools, right? In fact, the school a

So Much Stuff

We live in a world of SO MUCH stuff. It's overwhelming just how much stuff there is in our world, at least in the US part of the world. Yesterday, I had a couple of hours to kill, and because my husband and I have decided we would prefer to furnish our home with antiques, I decided to take a walk through the local antiques mall. The antiques mall is in an old building downtown that used to be a JCPenney, so if you're familiar with the JCPenney stores of the 1970s and before, you'll know what I mean when I say it's big, really big, as in 3 floors of stalls of antiques. And the antiques range as far as they can from crochet-edged hankies to pyrex bowls to cast iron hand pumps to hoosier cupboards. Truly, if you're looking for a specific item, and you're willing to spend the time, you'll find it in this store. So much stuff.  Most of it just sits there, collecting dust. Like wall-hanging thread holder which I first spotted the first time I w

Learning about Home Education and Homeschooling

What is home ed? How does homeschooling work? Will my kids be behind? How do I choose a curriculum? Will my kids have friends? and more are all questions that get asked when parents start looking into home education for their children. So where is the place to go to get all this information? Where is the best place to learn about the topic of homeschool? My friend, there is not one place to go. There just isn't because home ed is as varied and individualized as the families that choose it. And even within families with multiple children, it varies. And that is one of the many, many benefits of home ed. So where to start?  And that, I can help you with. There are many, many resources for learning about home ed and they come in different media, so go with works for you, for where you are right now. And later, once you know a bit, then push yourself into something less comfortable. FILMS Class Dismissed -  http://classdismissedmovie.com/ Self Taught -  https://www.selftaughtmovie.com