Skip to main content

Starting Out Minimally and Creating Our Home Intentionally

After much sorting, donating, disposing, and giving away of "stuff", and shipping not a whole lot, Husband and I have decided to be much more intentional and thoughtful about the things we buy as we set up our new home. We are taking the time to define the characteristics and values of our family so we can ask before each potential purchase "Does this fit with our family's values? Does this fit with who we are?"

The mattresses and bedsteads were non-negotiable. We have to have a comfortable place to sleep, preferably up off the floor. And so, our for first purchases. we were able to shop together online and find a bedstead we both like. Daughter was able to choose hers too. Husband had them all set up by the time we arrived. That gets us up off the floor for sleeping, and on to the living room.

Our house has two dining/living rooms, both off the kitchen, but in different directions. (It may be an Australia thing. We saw a lot of houses with 2 living/dining rooms.) Obviously living minimally we don't need to go running right out and buy a full dining and living room set for both rooms, but we do need some pieces. What do we really need? And what do we need first? Do we buy short term pieces and save up for investment pieces down the road? Or do we go with one investment piece now?

It took us a few lengthy conversations to work through these questions, to define our immediate needs, and make a plan. In the short term, we need some chairs so we can sit up off the floor in the evenings. And finally we decided on camping chairs. They get us up off the floor, don't cost a lot, and will be a long-term use for us down the road when we get to the camping time of year. But we still need real living/dining room furniture.



When considering living room (couch and chairs) vs dining room (table and comfortable chairs) furniture, we came to the conclusion that a dining table with comfortable chairs would be more useful and versatile than a couch and chairs. A dining table gives us a place to eat, play games, work puzzles, chat with each other and friends, so long as the chairs are comfortable. And yes I know I keep saying comfortable chairs, but we've all had that experience of uncomfortable dining chairs, and if these are going to be our main sitting places for a while (and they are), they HAVE to be comfortable -- for a couple hours of sitting.

Ideally, we are looking for a very specific table (square or slightly rounded pedestal with 2 leaves) and chairs (cushioned seat and back, slightly rounded, probably on casters). Actually more of a gaming table set up than a formal dining room style. Casual and comfortable are what we're looking for. And shopping online didn't do the trick this time. We'll have to go out to the stores to find what we're looking for, possibly even ordering it. When we reached this point, we decided to immediately buy the best and most comfortable table and chairs we could find. For now it is in the front living room, but once we get the ideal set, the first set will move into the back living room and be set up for games, crafts, and sewing. With all of our interests and hobbies, two tables will be handy to have.



Next up, I think, will be some bedside tables for the bedrooms and then some bookcases/sets of shelves to get stuff up off the floors. We're not a Pinterest-ready home by any means, but we are intentional, minimal, and comfortable.

Cheers!
Ann

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So Much Stuff

We live in a world of SO MUCH stuff. It's overwhelming just how much stuff there is in our world, at least in the US part of the world. Yesterday, I had a couple of hours to kill, and because my husband and I have decided we would prefer to furnish our home with antiques, I decided to take a walk through the local antiques mall. The antiques mall is in an old building downtown that used to be a JCPenney, so if you're familiar with the JCPenney stores of the 1970s and before, you'll know what I mean when I say it's big, really big, as in 3 floors of stalls of antiques. And the antiques range as far as they can from crochet-edged hankies to pyrex bowls to cast iron hand pumps to hoosier cupboards. Truly, if you're looking for a specific item, and you're willing to spend the time, you'll find it in this store. So much stuff.  Most of it just sits there, collecting dust. Like wall-hanging thread holder which I first spotted the first time I w

Homeschooling and Field Trips

After reading Homeschool Adventures: Learning through Field Trips by Melissa Calaap, I knew field trips were going to be a regular part of our homeschool journey. Hands-on learning, experiences, talking with people on site.. that is where deep learning happens. And honestly, field trips were the best days of my own public school experience. Hello Ft Wayne Children's Zoo, Amish Acres, and Cotton Bowl Parade. My local homeschool community regularly organized park days, the occasional trip to the museum, IMAX movie, and other one-off meet-ups, but there wasn't a regular set pattern of field trips on the caliber of what I was looking for. So I had a decision to make. Did I sit and wait for others to create the opportunities I was looking for or did I do it myself? Now, coming from the public school background I came from, my first inclination was to wait for others to come up with the idea and organize it. I mean that's how it worked at the schools, right? In fact, the school a

I'm in the pillowcase business!

Part of being a stay at home mom and making sustainable living choices is keeping expenses down, but the other part is to increase the income, too.  And working from home allows me to develop multiple small income avenues rather than just going after the one big avenue of income. With that in mind, I've been brainstorming, trying to come up with a project for the cold winter months.  I've kicked around various crochet ideas, but was truly inspired when I came across the idea of making custom pillowcases. Here are some photos of the one I whipped up this morning specifically so I could take photos to promote this new business venture. Isn't that a lovely pillowcase?  I can't wait to share with you all the pillowcases I have planned! Come spring, I'll add chickens, well eggs, as another avenue.  And of course the garden will go in which will reduce our food spending in a big way. What small avenues of income are you working on?