Skip to main content

Lunches for the Week

We are packers -- well at least Kenn and Isabelle are, in that I pack their lunches for them and they eat packed lunches. So, what are they having this week?

Monday
Kenn -- tossed salad (romaine lettuce, chopped carrot and cucumber, feta cheese, cherry tomatoes, croutons, italian dressing), tuna salad (tuna, mayo, mustard, worchestershire sauce, lemon juice, hard-boiled egg), apple, and coffee. Usually with Monday being his long day, he takes more snacks, but our snack cupboard was bare this morning.

Isabelle -- ham slices (4), some shredded cheese (I usually pack string cheese, but I'm out of that too.  Plus the packaging....  (I may stick to shredded cheese for her.), carrot slices, pretzel sticks, croutons (because they're yummy), and water (doesn't spoil in her water bottle the way milk and juice do).

Tuesday
Kenn - has Tuesdays off work, so I don't have to pack his lunch today.

Isabelle - has chosen to buy school lunch today so I packed just a couple of pretzels and some apple slices for her afternoon snack.

Wednesday
Kenn -- tossed salad (romaine lettuce, chopped carrot and cucumber, feta cheese, cherry tomatoes, hard-boiled egg, croutons, italian dressing), tuna salad (same as above minus the egg), apple, grapes, mixed nuts, and coffee. Again this is a long day, so I pack extra snacks for him.

Isabelle -- ham slices (4), some shredded cheese, pretzel stick, applesauce, grapes, and water.

Thursday
Kenn -- tossed salad (romaine, carrot, cucumber, tomatoes, croutons, italian dressing), tuna salad (same as above), apples, mixed nuts, and coffee.

Isabelle -- ham slices (4), shredded cheese, pretzel sticks, sliced apple, sliced carrot, and water.

Friday
Kenn -- tossed salad (romaine, carrot, cucumber, tomatoes, feta cheese crumbles, croutons, italian dressing), tuna salad (same as above), 2 tarts (mini-fruit pies), banana, coffee.

Isabelle -- jam sandwich, pretzel stick, banana, carrot slices, and water.

Actually, I don't pack Kenn's coffee, croutons or italian dressing every day. He keeps those at work. But otherwise, this is a typical week of lunches for us. Isabelle's lunch on Friday may look a little light, but she has a valentine's day party this afternoon and snacks will be served. And she's happy with the shredded cheese so I won't be buying/packing the individually wrapped mozzarella cheese sticks anymore.

We aim for no-waste lunches, so everything is sent either naked or in a washable container that comes back home. I pack real silverware right out of the kitchen drawer and cloth napkins, too.

Yes, there is repetition here and that is ok. I'm not running a diner. Simple is good.

What do your packed lunches look like?

Peace -- Ann



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So Much Stuff

We live in a world of SO MUCH stuff. It's overwhelming just how much stuff there is in our world, at least in the US part of the world. Yesterday, I had a couple of hours to kill, and because my husband and I have decided we would prefer to furnish our home with antiques, I decided to take a walk through the local antiques mall. The antiques mall is in an old building downtown that used to be a JCPenney, so if you're familiar with the JCPenney stores of the 1970s and before, you'll know what I mean when I say it's big, really big, as in 3 floors of stalls of antiques. And the antiques range as far as they can from crochet-edged hankies to pyrex bowls to cast iron hand pumps to hoosier cupboards. Truly, if you're looking for a specific item, and you're willing to spend the time, you'll find it in this store. So much stuff.  Most of it just sits there, collecting dust. Like wall-hanging thread holder which I first spotted the first time I w...

I'm in the pillowcase business!

Part of being a stay at home mom and making sustainable living choices is keeping expenses down, but the other part is to increase the income, too.  And working from home allows me to develop multiple small income avenues rather than just going after the one big avenue of income. With that in mind, I've been brainstorming, trying to come up with a project for the cold winter months.  I've kicked around various crochet ideas, but was truly inspired when I came across the idea of making custom pillowcases. Here are some photos of the one I whipped up this morning specifically so I could take photos to promote this new business venture. Isn't that a lovely pillowcase?  I can't wait to share with you all the pillowcases I have planned! Come spring, I'll add chickens, well eggs, as another avenue.  And of course the garden will go in which will reduce our food spending in a big way. What small avenues of income are you working on? ...

ssshhhh....

A small voice calls out of the darkness... "Mom." I come rushing up out of my own darkness, formulate an answer, and call back.. "Yes." The small voice sends out a plea... "I can't find my blanket." I send reassurance... "I'm coming." I tell myself - don't go back to sleep - and then fumble with the covers as I sit up on the side of the bed and reach for my glasses. Not that they will help much in the pitch black of the house at this pre-dawn hour, but I put them on anyway. Walk gently around the bed being careful not to bump into it and wake the sleeping husband. And then count the steps before reaching the brick step.  There it is.  Two steps up and across to the bedroom door. No way around it.  The light has to be turned on. "Close your eyes." I say to the small person, owner of the small voice. *click* No worries. She's still asleep. All the blankets are on the floor. I arrange all the blankets back over her.  Tuck...