Skip to main content

Scheduling is not my strong suit


Every day, I struggle with how to plan and execute my day. Crazy, right?  I know.  I'm a SAHM. All I have to do is some housework and play with my daughter. It's a no-brainer.  Well, maybe for you, but not for me.

For example this morning, I was sitting here at the table and thinking about my day, all the different things I want to get done - morning routine, daily cleaning, meals/dishes, yoga with Isabelle, homeschooling, my 1 hour walk, mowing (luckily it's raining so this is off the list), sewing/crochet time, 1 hour outside with Isabelle, a big physical activity with Isabelle; and OH MY GOSH!!!  Where do I even begin?

Now, I do have a monthly/weekly planner that I keep our activities on, and usually I use that to make a list of my daily activities. But even with that I find myself getting lost throughout the day.  


  And yes, I did set up a dry erase board a few weeks ago with morning/afternoon/evening sections to help break up my day and make it flow better.  This is probably the most effective tool I've come up with, but I haven't been sticking to it the way I should.

So this morning, did I stick with the tools I already have in place? Well, no and yes. What I did do was grab a my stack of square sticky notes and wrote each activity on a separate sticky note. And then in a moment of brilliance, I asked Kenn for help.


I told him I had all these different things to get done today and didn't see how I could get it all done or even where to start. He helped me sort it all out and find the order within the chaos. Once we got them sorted, I stuck them up on the marker board so I can quickly see what I'm to be working on during each part of the day.



The only change I'm going to make is to use different colored sticky notes for different types of activities - which is totally nerdy. And that is ok with me.


The unexpected bonus to the marker board system is that I can direct Isabelle to it when she starts pestering me in the morning to go bowling when she knows and it's on the board as an evening activity. This puts us all on the same schedule.

Hope your day is off to a great start!
Cheers!
Ann

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homeschooling and Field Trips

After reading Homeschool Adventures: Learning through Field Trips by Melissa Calaap, I knew field trips were going to be a regular part of our homeschool journey. Hands-on learning, experiences, talking with people on site.. that is where deep learning happens. And honestly, field trips were the best days of my own public school experience. Hello Ft Wayne Children's Zoo, Amish Acres, and Cotton Bowl Parade. My local homeschool community regularly organized park days, the occasional trip to the museum, IMAX movie, and other one-off meet-ups, but there wasn't a regular set pattern of field trips on the caliber of what I was looking for. So I had a decision to make. Did I sit and wait for others to create the opportunities I was looking for or did I do it myself? Now, coming from the public school background I came from, my first inclination was to wait for others to come up with the idea and organize it. I mean that's how it worked at the schools, right? In fact, the school a

So Much Stuff

We live in a world of SO MUCH stuff. It's overwhelming just how much stuff there is in our world, at least in the US part of the world. Yesterday, I had a couple of hours to kill, and because my husband and I have decided we would prefer to furnish our home with antiques, I decided to take a walk through the local antiques mall. The antiques mall is in an old building downtown that used to be a JCPenney, so if you're familiar with the JCPenney stores of the 1970s and before, you'll know what I mean when I say it's big, really big, as in 3 floors of stalls of antiques. And the antiques range as far as they can from crochet-edged hankies to pyrex bowls to cast iron hand pumps to hoosier cupboards. Truly, if you're looking for a specific item, and you're willing to spend the time, you'll find it in this store. So much stuff.  Most of it just sits there, collecting dust. Like wall-hanging thread holder which I first spotted the first time I w

Learning about Home Education and Homeschooling

What is home ed? How does homeschooling work? Will my kids be behind? How do I choose a curriculum? Will my kids have friends? and more are all questions that get asked when parents start looking into home education for their children. So where is the place to go to get all this information? Where is the best place to learn about the topic of homeschool? My friend, there is not one place to go. There just isn't because home ed is as varied and individualized as the families that choose it. And even within families with multiple children, it varies. And that is one of the many, many benefits of home ed. So where to start?  And that, I can help you with. There are many, many resources for learning about home ed and they come in different media, so go with works for you, for where you are right now. And later, once you know a bit, then push yourself into something less comfortable. FILMS Class Dismissed -  http://classdismissedmovie.com/ Self Taught -  https://www.selftaughtmovie.com