Skip to main content

Getting Back on the Meal Planning Train

It's the beginning of the month and so the perfect time for refocusing myself to a meal planning.  Are you a meal planner?  Do you tend to make the same comfort foods?  Or do you enjoy new foods for every meal?

I like the simplicity of making the same foods over and over again.  I know it sounds boring, but it works for me.  And I do change up the seasonings and add in new recipes so I think it's a good mix.

As a homemaker, I think meal planning (and preparing) is my biggest challenge.  Off-the-cuff cooking rarely works for me, so a plan is a must.  But sitting down and writing out a plan is just-so-hard!  (I know.  Poor me, right?)

So, here we go for November:

Breakfast
cocoa & toast & fruit
fruit & yogurt (homemade) & granola (homemade)
BLT & egg & cheese (stole this one from Bob Evans)
cold cereal or granola & milk & fruit

Light meal
egg salad sandwich
tuna salad sandwich
leftovers
ham & cheese sandwich
cheese & tomato sandwich
grilled cheese & ham sandwich

Big hot meal
shepherd pie
beans & rice
potato soup
chili w/cornbread
chicken w/potatoes & Gbeans
chips & toppings (nachos, salsa)
sloppy joes w/mashed pots & veg
BBQ pork sandwiches
pot roast & pots & veg
pork steak & fixins
pizza
spaghetti
mac & cheese
chicken & rice & veg

Snacks
HB eggs
nuts
fresh veg
cheese
crackers
PB
fresh fruit
yogurt

Salad
greens
cheese
peas
croutons
cubed ham
HB egg
dressing
carrot
mushroom

I'm aiming for our big hot meal to be the noon meal (dinner) and then a lighter meal for supper.  But I know Kenn likes a big hot meal for his evening meal. And since he gets sandwiches for his noon meal, that's a reasonable request.

Last month, I did prepare a big noon meal and then warmed it for his supper using the slow cooker.  One was a casserole so I just turned the slow cooker back on about a half hour before he came home.  For the other, the meat was in the slow cooker and the veg were on the stove.  I put the veg into a pyrex dish and set it in the slow cook on top of the meat and warmed it all together.  This was better than reheating the veg on the stove where they tend to burn to the pan.  :(

Also I'm aiming to do a couple meatless meals each week and only 1 beef and/or 1 pork meal with the rest being chicken-based.  Part of this is health and part of it is financial.  I can get chicken thigh/leg pieces for $.95/lb and ground beef is $2.59/lb.  Pork steaks are about the same and beef roast is more.

It's easy to take a big package of chicken thigh/leg pieces, cook them up in the slow cooker, and remove all the meat to add into chicken dishes.

Slowly but surely a plan is coming together.  I'd love to see your meal plans.  Maybe we could take turns writing out the plan for the week!  Ha! ;-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homeschooling and Field Trips

After reading Homeschool Adventures: Learning through Field Trips by Melissa Calaap, I knew field trips were going to be a regular part of our homeschool journey. Hands-on learning, experiences, talking with people on site.. that is where deep learning happens. And honestly, field trips were the best days of my own public school experience. Hello Ft Wayne Children's Zoo, Amish Acres, and Cotton Bowl Parade. My local homeschool community regularly organized park days, the occasional trip to the museum, IMAX movie, and other one-off meet-ups, but there wasn't a regular set pattern of field trips on the caliber of what I was looking for. So I had a decision to make. Did I sit and wait for others to create the opportunities I was looking for or did I do it myself? Now, coming from the public school background I came from, my first inclination was to wait for others to come up with the idea and organize it. I mean that's how it worked at the schools, right? In fact, the school a

So Much Stuff

We live in a world of SO MUCH stuff. It's overwhelming just how much stuff there is in our world, at least in the US part of the world. Yesterday, I had a couple of hours to kill, and because my husband and I have decided we would prefer to furnish our home with antiques, I decided to take a walk through the local antiques mall. The antiques mall is in an old building downtown that used to be a JCPenney, so if you're familiar with the JCPenney stores of the 1970s and before, you'll know what I mean when I say it's big, really big, as in 3 floors of stalls of antiques. And the antiques range as far as they can from crochet-edged hankies to pyrex bowls to cast iron hand pumps to hoosier cupboards. Truly, if you're looking for a specific item, and you're willing to spend the time, you'll find it in this store. So much stuff.  Most of it just sits there, collecting dust. Like wall-hanging thread holder which I first spotted the first time I w

Learning about Home Education and Homeschooling

What is home ed? How does homeschooling work? Will my kids be behind? How do I choose a curriculum? Will my kids have friends? and more are all questions that get asked when parents start looking into home education for their children. So where is the place to go to get all this information? Where is the best place to learn about the topic of homeschool? My friend, there is not one place to go. There just isn't because home ed is as varied and individualized as the families that choose it. And even within families with multiple children, it varies. And that is one of the many, many benefits of home ed. So where to start?  And that, I can help you with. There are many, many resources for learning about home ed and they come in different media, so go with works for you, for where you are right now. And later, once you know a bit, then push yourself into something less comfortable. FILMS Class Dismissed -  http://classdismissedmovie.com/ Self Taught -  https://www.selftaughtmovie.com