Skip to main content

Budget

Hello. My name is Ann and I've fallen off the wagon. It has been nearly a year since I've written and followed a monthly budget. And this is a rally big deal to me because I love having a budget which sets boundaries for safe decision making and leaves me with a feeling of security. 



YNAB snapshot
It's past time to get the budget up and running again, so what format to ues? Kenn and I have tried some of the apps (YNAB, Mint, Every Dollar), we have used pre-formatted spreadsheets, and spreadsheets we have created ourselves, but this time, I am taking it right back down to the paper and pencil format I know and love. This is a simple tool that I first started using when I had my first apartment, 30 years ago. It is very comfortable to me.


   
A budget I created a few years back

I actually enjoy creating the categories and writing in the amounts for budget and actual. I like doing the math, making corrections, re-allocating. It's all part of the process and when I do it by  hand, it is very real. I feel the pain of overspending and feel very much in control of the outcomes. When spreadsheets and even worse, apps, do all the arithmatic behind the scenes, there is a disconnection between myself and the numbers. A disconnection from the consequences of decisions made. 




This time, Kenn and I have decided that I will be in charge of the creation and regular updating of the budget. That's not to say he won't be involved in it all and won't have to bide by it, because he will, but just that I will do the grunt work, and that's ok with me. When we've worked together on the budget before... let's just say it didn't go well. We are looking for different pieces of information from the tools and what worked for me didn't work for him. This way I can put in all the data to get the results which are meaningful to me, and then transfer them into a computer spreadsheet which is meaningful to him. We both win.

The budget I put together for October and then extended to the end of the year

It took me about an hour to create a new budget for next month, pulling bits and pieces from budgets I've used in the past, and it will probably take at least an hour to record the actual spending, pulling from the bank account records. For sure next month will be rough going too because the budget amounts will be guesstimates at best. Some categories will go over and others will be under, but in a couple months it will be smoothed out nicely

Looking forward to posting an update on our budget in a couple weeks.

Ta! Ann


Comments

  1. Anonymous24 May, 2019

    Just stumbled upon your blog, love so much what you have to say! As a younger adult I always thought handling money would be much easier than it really is! I'm also a college student working part-time and am nervous for the part when I start to pay off so many loans! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

So Much Stuff

We live in a world of SO MUCH stuff. It's overwhelming just how much stuff there is in our world, at least in the US part of the world. Yesterday, I had a couple of hours to kill, and because my husband and I have decided we would prefer to furnish our home with antiques, I decided to take a walk through the local antiques mall. The antiques mall is in an old building downtown that used to be a JCPenney, so if you're familiar with the JCPenney stores of the 1970s and before, you'll know what I mean when I say it's big, really big, as in 3 floors of stalls of antiques. And the antiques range as far as they can from crochet-edged hankies to pyrex bowls to cast iron hand pumps to hoosier cupboards. Truly, if you're looking for a specific item, and you're willing to spend the time, you'll find it in this store. So much stuff.  Most of it just sits there, collecting dust. Like wall-hanging thread holder which I first spotted the first time I w

Homeschooling and Field Trips

After reading Homeschool Adventures: Learning through Field Trips by Melissa Calaap, I knew field trips were going to be a regular part of our homeschool journey. Hands-on learning, experiences, talking with people on site.. that is where deep learning happens. And honestly, field trips were the best days of my own public school experience. Hello Ft Wayne Children's Zoo, Amish Acres, and Cotton Bowl Parade. My local homeschool community regularly organized park days, the occasional trip to the museum, IMAX movie, and other one-off meet-ups, but there wasn't a regular set pattern of field trips on the caliber of what I was looking for. So I had a decision to make. Did I sit and wait for others to create the opportunities I was looking for or did I do it myself? Now, coming from the public school background I came from, my first inclination was to wait for others to come up with the idea and organize it. I mean that's how it worked at the schools, right? In fact, the school a

I'm in the pillowcase business!

Part of being a stay at home mom and making sustainable living choices is keeping expenses down, but the other part is to increase the income, too.  And working from home allows me to develop multiple small income avenues rather than just going after the one big avenue of income. With that in mind, I've been brainstorming, trying to come up with a project for the cold winter months.  I've kicked around various crochet ideas, but was truly inspired when I came across the idea of making custom pillowcases. Here are some photos of the one I whipped up this morning specifically so I could take photos to promote this new business venture. Isn't that a lovely pillowcase?  I can't wait to share with you all the pillowcases I have planned! Come spring, I'll add chickens, well eggs, as another avenue.  And of course the garden will go in which will reduce our food spending in a big way. What small avenues of income are you working on?