Skip to main content

More Than Just a Stay at Home Mom

"Oh, I'm just a stay at home mom."

"I don't have time for a hobby.  I'm just so consumed with family."

"Prior to having a baby, I loved....."

"I don't really have a hobby anymore."

"I too have done away with my hobbies since I became a mom.  I used to do ....."

"I spend all my time taking the children to their activities."


I meet a lot of moms who have their whole identity wrapped up in being a mom.  They have completely lost their identity as an individual, and that's sad.  It is vitally important that we moms show our children that we are a complete person, that being a mom is only a part of who we are as an individual.  And even more important, we need to do this for ourselves.  We have to keep hold of our own interests otherwise, when those children are grown, what is left?  Not only do you face an empty nest, but you face an empty person!

Being a SAHM isn't "just" anything.  It's HUGE!  You are your child's first and most important teacher.  You are teaching your child how to interact with the world, what the world expects of him, and how she is expected to treat others.  No one can ever take your place.  You're not just a SAHM.  You're THE stay-at-home mom for your children.  You are making hundreds of decisions everyday about the care of your children, so don't underestimate yourself.

Being More than a Stay at Home Mom isn't about making a list of all the little things your do everyday (wash bottles, laundry, fold diapers, schedule doctor appointments) because working-outside-the-home moms do that too.  But think about the big things you're teaching your children everyday.  What is the culture of your home?  What values are you teaching your children?  What are you teaching her about the world?  What are you teaching him about himself?  There are much bigger things to teach our children than just diapers and dishes.

I believe the most important thing you can teach your children is that you're a whole person, with your own hobbies, interests, and activities.  Yes, you'll be there for her band concerts and his choir concerts, but you'll also be attending your own club meetings, so they'll have to make their own supper, hopefully with Dad, on Thursdays.  Be fair to yourself.  Be a whole person and not "just a stay at home mom."


Comments

  1. Have you found that Amy Dacyczyn book "The Tightwad Gazette"? I look forward to following your blog. Blogs are a great teaching tool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I have all 3 of her books! LOL She has so much good advice in there that I have to take it in little bites.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

So Much Stuff

We live in a world of SO MUCH stuff. It's overwhelming just how much stuff there is in our world, at least in the US part of the world. Yesterday, I had a couple of hours to kill, and because my husband and I have decided we would prefer to furnish our home with antiques, I decided to take a walk through the local antiques mall. The antiques mall is in an old building downtown that used to be a JCPenney, so if you're familiar with the JCPenney stores of the 1970s and before, you'll know what I mean when I say it's big, really big, as in 3 floors of stalls of antiques. And the antiques range as far as they can from crochet-edged hankies to pyrex bowls to cast iron hand pumps to hoosier cupboards. Truly, if you're looking for a specific item, and you're willing to spend the time, you'll find it in this store. So much stuff.  Most of it just sits there, collecting dust. Like wall-hanging thread holder which I first spotted the first time I w

Homeschooling and Field Trips

After reading Homeschool Adventures: Learning through Field Trips by Melissa Calaap, I knew field trips were going to be a regular part of our homeschool journey. Hands-on learning, experiences, talking with people on site.. that is where deep learning happens. And honestly, field trips were the best days of my own public school experience. Hello Ft Wayne Children's Zoo, Amish Acres, and Cotton Bowl Parade. My local homeschool community regularly organized park days, the occasional trip to the museum, IMAX movie, and other one-off meet-ups, but there wasn't a regular set pattern of field trips on the caliber of what I was looking for. So I had a decision to make. Did I sit and wait for others to create the opportunities I was looking for or did I do it myself? Now, coming from the public school background I came from, my first inclination was to wait for others to come up with the idea and organize it. I mean that's how it worked at the schools, right? In fact, the school a

I'm in the pillowcase business!

Part of being a stay at home mom and making sustainable living choices is keeping expenses down, but the other part is to increase the income, too.  And working from home allows me to develop multiple small income avenues rather than just going after the one big avenue of income. With that in mind, I've been brainstorming, trying to come up with a project for the cold winter months.  I've kicked around various crochet ideas, but was truly inspired when I came across the idea of making custom pillowcases. Here are some photos of the one I whipped up this morning specifically so I could take photos to promote this new business venture. Isn't that a lovely pillowcase?  I can't wait to share with you all the pillowcases I have planned! Come spring, I'll add chickens, well eggs, as another avenue.  And of course the garden will go in which will reduce our food spending in a big way. What small avenues of income are you working on?