Skip to main content

Home education this week 14 September 2018


Home educating wears so many disguises. Sometimes it looks like books and papers all over the dining table. Other times, it is a week of adventures with very little book work. Most of the time, it is somewhere in between. This week, for us, was filled with adventures, and exhausting, but we loved it.

Monday, Kenn and I attended an all day training class and Isabelle spent all day at a home educating friend's house. she packed her lessons in her backpack, and somehow managed to come home with them completed while also enjoying a whole day of play.

Tuesday, Isabelle and I left early (for us) for the city to meet up with the home ed group and watch the Pandas documentary at the IMAX theatre which is in the Melbourne Museum. Of course, we stayed on to play and chat with our friends. It was a long and gratifying day, working on friendships. I think we were finally home about 4:45, just in time to start supper. We completed one lesson on the train.

Wednesday is Park day. After lunch, we head out and meet up with our home ed group at the local park. This is a great extended play for the children to get deep into their play with children of all ages. It could easily be recorded as physical education, and science, probably some of the other Key Learning Areas, too. Ironically, socialization isn't one of the KLAs that we are expected to cover.

Ah, we have made it to Thursday. Finally, a day we stayed home. By this time, I totally dismissed  book learning for the rest of this week. A friend has asked if his daughter can stay with us for the day, and of course, I said yes.  Isabelle and I were reading in our pajamas when they pulled into the driveway and scurried to get on some clothes before they got to the door!The girls spent the day playing and cleaning (I know!). We walked down to the playground for a play and chat with the ducks in the afternoon, and enjoyed cookies for afternon tea before she left. It was a fun and lovely day.

And finally Friday -- Game day! yes, another day with our home ed friends, but this time we stay home,  having invited the entire home ed group to come to our house for an afternoon of board games, chat, free play, and snacks. Typically, we have 3 - 5 families show up, and a good time is had by all. One of the other moms summed up what these Friday afternoons mean to her saying it was so relaxing for her to have just a few hours where the children are entertained and she gets to be with the other women. It feels like having the afternoon off. And that is exactly what I was aiming for when I started doing Game day.

And that's it, our home educating for this week. Well, it's the big, easy to record parts of it anyway. Learning and the joy of learning is happening all day, every day in our home.

Ta!
Ann

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So Much Stuff

We live in a world of SO MUCH stuff. It's overwhelming just how much stuff there is in our world, at least in the US part of the world. Yesterday, I had a couple of hours to kill, and because my husband and I have decided we would prefer to furnish our home with antiques, I decided to take a walk through the local antiques mall. The antiques mall is in an old building downtown that used to be a JCPenney, so if you're familiar with the JCPenney stores of the 1970s and before, you'll know what I mean when I say it's big, really big, as in 3 floors of stalls of antiques. And the antiques range as far as they can from crochet-edged hankies to pyrex bowls to cast iron hand pumps to hoosier cupboards. Truly, if you're looking for a specific item, and you're willing to spend the time, you'll find it in this store. So much stuff.  Most of it just sits there, collecting dust. Like wall-hanging thread holder which I first spotted the first time I w

Homeschooling and Field Trips

After reading Homeschool Adventures: Learning through Field Trips by Melissa Calaap, I knew field trips were going to be a regular part of our homeschool journey. Hands-on learning, experiences, talking with people on site.. that is where deep learning happens. And honestly, field trips were the best days of my own public school experience. Hello Ft Wayne Children's Zoo, Amish Acres, and Cotton Bowl Parade. My local homeschool community regularly organized park days, the occasional trip to the museum, IMAX movie, and other one-off meet-ups, but there wasn't a regular set pattern of field trips on the caliber of what I was looking for. So I had a decision to make. Did I sit and wait for others to create the opportunities I was looking for or did I do it myself? Now, coming from the public school background I came from, my first inclination was to wait for others to come up with the idea and organize it. I mean that's how it worked at the schools, right? In fact, the school a

I'm in the pillowcase business!

Part of being a stay at home mom and making sustainable living choices is keeping expenses down, but the other part is to increase the income, too.  And working from home allows me to develop multiple small income avenues rather than just going after the one big avenue of income. With that in mind, I've been brainstorming, trying to come up with a project for the cold winter months.  I've kicked around various crochet ideas, but was truly inspired when I came across the idea of making custom pillowcases. Here are some photos of the one I whipped up this morning specifically so I could take photos to promote this new business venture. Isn't that a lovely pillowcase?  I can't wait to share with you all the pillowcases I have planned! Come spring, I'll add chickens, well eggs, as another avenue.  And of course the garden will go in which will reduce our food spending in a big way. What small avenues of income are you working on?