Skip to main content

My New Easy Peasy Chicken Recipe

So I was looking around the kitchen for something (anything) to make for supper and I was down to chicken thighs, potatoes and green beans.  Wow...  a whole lotta blah, right?

Ok, I said to myself, let's do something different.  Grab the electric skillet and here we go!

Heat the skillet to 350F, then add 1 TBSP of olive oil.  When the oil is warm (water drops dance on it), add the thighs and put the lid on those babies.  (Set the timer for 10 min if you're like me and have no sense of how much time has passed!)  Wash 5 potatoes, cut out the bad spots and start slicing then about this | ---- | thick (ok, it was 3/8"  I sew alot and can gauge it without a ruler).  :P  Is that the timer??  Flip the thighs over and put the lid back on them while you finish slicing the potatoes.  And reset the timer!! 

This time when the timer beeps, add some chicken broth (I don't know how much it was, just pour it in until it's about 1/2" deep in the skillet!)  Push all the thighs together in the center of the skillet and lay the potato slices around the edges as close to single layer as you can get them.  It's ok if they're stacked a bit.  Sprinkle on some seasoning salt and some oregano or parsley.  Just sprinkle it on until there is enough to see the colors.  (This isn't science class.  It's cooking!!)  Put the lid back on.  And yes, set the timer for 10 more minutes.  Open a can of green beans and drain off the water.

This is when I get a soapy water in the sink, start washing things up and set the table.  Maybe next time, I'll whip up a fancy dessert, like jello!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So Much Stuff

We live in a world of SO MUCH stuff. It's overwhelming just how much stuff there is in our world, at least in the US part of the world. Yesterday, I had a couple of hours to kill, and because my husband and I have decided we would prefer to furnish our home with antiques, I decided to take a walk through the local antiques mall. The antiques mall is in an old building downtown that used to be a JCPenney, so if you're familiar with the JCPenney stores of the 1970s and before, you'll know what I mean when I say it's big, really big, as in 3 floors of stalls of antiques. And the antiques range as far as they can from crochet-edged hankies to pyrex bowls to cast iron hand pumps to hoosier cupboards. Truly, if you're looking for a specific item, and you're willing to spend the time, you'll find it in this store. So much stuff.  Most of it just sits there, collecting dust. Like wall-hanging thread holder which I first spotted the first time I w...

I'm in the pillowcase business!

Part of being a stay at home mom and making sustainable living choices is keeping expenses down, but the other part is to increase the income, too.  And working from home allows me to develop multiple small income avenues rather than just going after the one big avenue of income. With that in mind, I've been brainstorming, trying to come up with a project for the cold winter months.  I've kicked around various crochet ideas, but was truly inspired when I came across the idea of making custom pillowcases. Here are some photos of the one I whipped up this morning specifically so I could take photos to promote this new business venture. Isn't that a lovely pillowcase?  I can't wait to share with you all the pillowcases I have planned! Come spring, I'll add chickens, well eggs, as another avenue.  And of course the garden will go in which will reduce our food spending in a big way. What small avenues of income are you working on? ...

ssshhhh....

A small voice calls out of the darkness... "Mom." I come rushing up out of my own darkness, formulate an answer, and call back.. "Yes." The small voice sends out a plea... "I can't find my blanket." I send reassurance... "I'm coming." I tell myself - don't go back to sleep - and then fumble with the covers as I sit up on the side of the bed and reach for my glasses. Not that they will help much in the pitch black of the house at this pre-dawn hour, but I put them on anyway. Walk gently around the bed being careful not to bump into it and wake the sleeping husband. And then count the steps before reaching the brick step.  There it is.  Two steps up and across to the bedroom door. No way around it.  The light has to be turned on. "Close your eyes." I say to the small person, owner of the small voice. *click* No worries. She's still asleep. All the blankets are on the floor. I arrange all the blankets back over her.  Tuck...